Starting a new job tomorrow.
Rather than teach ourselves to live within our means, we accumulate debt, to eat out, drink unhealthily, have a nicer car, a bigger apartment, and have less time to pursue the passions that better us as people and create within ourselves feelings of real self worth and esteem.
In doing so, we become only more unhappy and seek the same snake oil tonic from the same wall street salesmen and big Pharma and marketing and Visa or Mastercard, and we do the same things that everyone does and trap ourselves in un-salvageable debt.
The timing is never actually right or perfect. Waiting for it to be is simply a passive way of accepting your current situation.
So....I've left my field.
I'll be piecemeal-ing my livelihood together and if it comes down to it, I have a plan B to fall back on if my plan to be gone from this state this time next year fails.
The plan B is by no means a great fall back. Meaning, it is an option other than being homeless and little more than that.
The key, again, is to put yourself in a position where success is the ONLY option but that failure will mean starting again fresh, not ending up on the street sleeping on a bench.
As for my work, I feel bad about the late notice and in a way I knew it would always happen, but I left my boss in the lurch. I always kinda knew it would end like this. Honestly. I had this feeling that somehow, someway, and others even said, I would probably just disappear one day.
Such is the case with most self-fulfilling prophecies. Such is the case with mine.
I put in my time, gave back, did the good deeds, and now I move on to a career where I fear less retribution for the blog and depending on what changes in the next few months, the old way of the blog, will likely return.
I always knew I would end up bailing at the start of a big project, but then, there are consequences for the way my supervisor treated me over what were in my humble opinion trivial errors.
The last step is slowly disconnecting from those who are not positive people.
I have been slowly disconnecting from those that detract from, voice negative opinions, or do not take responsibility for their own failures and unwillingness to act.
This may seem selfish as plenty of people have given me moral support and words of encouragement, but such things are little more than cheap talk if not supported by their daily decision-making/behavior.
You can create opportunities or make excuses.
I have slowly but surely eradicated most of my material desires for eating out and drinking.
I now prefer watching netflix and
My equation to create life change:
Q: do i want to work more to fund what i currently like to do (read, watch movies, train at the gym)?
A: No.
Q: What can I do to make more of the money I do make and spend less time at work?
A: rid myself of many of my material desires for things I do not need beyond their utilitarian function and find joy in simple(r) pleasures like eating out once a week, having brunch rather than big dinners out, and enjoying good coffee while getting up later in the day.
Good luck.
You can listen to the beast. To the darkness. To the sugary sweet promises of the modern world and its marketing whores.
Or you can pursue the things that provide genuine fulfillment and sustenance to your being in a lasting way. You cannot fill the hole endemic to the nature of man. But just like green beans and no-antibiotic meat will allow you to eat less yet feel better, forgoing luxury sedans and multi-room houses you do not need will allow you to pursue the passions that teach you about the world and your fellow humanity.
I never hear about old people wishing they had more stuff in their mansion while they lie on their death bed.
You cannot take it with you.
But you can live a life dedicated to pursuing the things that better you as a human being.

One of your best posts I've read lately that fall under the 'life change/personal insight/advice' theme.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with it all.
Also,what's the significance of the Lord of the Flies' pic reference? Can't seem to draw any conclusions.
cheers,
- j.h
JH - you can listen to the voice of altruism and create, or you can listen to the voice of temptation and simple emotion.
ReplyDeleteat some point you have to take responsibility for yourself and the daily decisions you're making.