Friday, November 2, 2012
Designed to Fail
Is marriage as an institution designed to fail?
Wilde once said something along the lines of "men marry b/c they are tired, women b/c they are curious. Both come away disappointed."
Having now gotten married, either I'm simply not marriage material, marriage is an institution ill-suited for certain personality types, or I'm still too young to be a fully committed participant. Or perhaps, I'm simply never going to be fully invested in the process.
When I think of my life goals, being a loving and doting husband is noticeably absent from the list.
I am never going to be the man who comes home from work directly.
I am never going to be the man who will sit and talk for hours everyday, well, not talk, but listen.
When a woman vacillates hitherto amongst the parts of her endless supply of things to worry about, I simply go do other things.
When she worries about that which she cannot control, I go read a book.
When I wasn't married, the threat of losing me could always bring a girl back into real life world place.
Then you get married, and suddenly, you're forced to passively or tacitly accept her irrational behavior, and like a child without structure or boundaries, they grow increasingly unhappy and erratic.
Their tempestuous nature only fed by the flames of power.
I don't want kids which then also begs the question, should I marry at all?
These are the hard questions you face when you see the world, rather attempt to see the world minus the programming to do what everyone else does.
--
I miss the days of being fully engaged in my pursuits, then having a peaceful respite in the bed of a woman glad to be in my presence. I liked listening to her and her struggles as it helped me escape from my daily grind at work, in the gym, and in life.
Now, marriage codifies all of that, it makes everything a "have to" rather than a "want to".
It makes old all the things which we wish would stay fresh and new.
There is no longer any scarcity or uncertainty.
The excitement dies.
You have to work to prevent the doldrums of soul crushing predictability.
Relationships should be comprised primarily of fun and escape from monotony...not the source of those.
Good luck and happy hunting.
Starting a new project tomorrow, more utilizing my abundance of social-interaction skills.
Wish me luck and chase some tail tonight.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Maybe given our modern cultural climate, it just, isn't compatible :S. The only reason for it that stands is that it makes it easier to have kids (so my step-mother said)..on second thought though, been seeing a lot of non-marital child rearing within friends of old and new. absence of a ring doesn't seem to interfere with it.
ReplyDelete-j.h